Friday, May 18, 2007

A SILVER STREAK IN
A DARK HORIZON!


I wish to share with you an incident I would cherish throughout my life. This morning I was at a Punjab National Bank Office desk talking to one of its officers. Suddenly a lanky old man of majestic stature walked in. In his deep voice he said that he wanted to open a Savings Bank Account. He was so old that I thought he was not serious. But the Bank Officer asked details about his residence; source of the cheque he was holding and how he wished to operate his account in future. He said he lived nearby; the source of the cheque was a Government Agency and it was issued in his favour as an honorarium for his service with Indian National Army (The liberation Army of 40’s founded by Nethaji Subhash Chandra Bose) and his need was limited to the presentation of only this cheque. I was observing the talk with great interest and when I heard that he was an Indian National Army I stood up in respect and offered my seat to him. The old man took out from his cloth bag all the credentials and presented it to the Bank Officer. I was expecting the Officer to find out some ways to get rid of the person, as he did not matter much to the Bank, as it would end up in a one-time transaction. It didn’t happen that way. Instead he went in and got an application form and asked a lady assistant to help him fill in the application. I was deeply moved when wiping out his tears the Officer asked me to observe the plight of time-expired freedom fighters, who slog to live and live unrecognized while we enjoy the fruits of freedom and most of our leaders go on draining the Nation itself. I didn’t remain there long and while going out I asked the old man his name and age. He said he was Sethuramalingam. And the age of the man who did not have a walking stick or an aid in case of an emergency! Just 86 years! The aftermath is unknown to me but I am sure from what I have seen transpired there that he got his job done and that too with deserving respect and honour. A noble gesture indeed, when these days emotions do not surface and remain dry in bottom for ever!
I would like to know what you think of the conduct of the Bank Officer and request you not to fail in leaving your mark in the comments provision below.
K. Mathew Thomas

No comments: